We realize that hospital care can be expensive and is often unexpected. If you don’t have insurance or have difficulty paying for medical costs, Scripps will offer options depending on your specific situation. This may include:
Full or partial charity care based on family size and income
Cash pay program
Discounted bills for uninsured patients, regardless of income level
Interest-free, extended-payment plans
We make every effort to identify patients who may benefit from financial assistance as soon as possible and provide counseling and language interpretation when needed. In addition, we will not apply wage garnishment or liens on primary residences as a way of collecting unpaid hospital bills.
Eligibility for financial assistance is based on your family income and expenses. For low-income, uninsured patients who earn less than twice the federal poverty level (FPL), we will fully forgive the entire bill. For those patients who earn between two and four times the FPL, we will forgive a portion of your bill. We will not charge patients qualified for financial assistance more than Scripps’ discounted financial assistance amount.
To learn more, view our:
- Financial Assistance Policy Summary in English and Spanish (PDF, 90 KB)
- Financial Assistance Policy in Spanish — Politica de asistencia financiera de Scripps Health (PDF, 99 KB)
- Patient Account Management - Billing and Collections in English (PDF, 120 KB)
- Manejo de Cuenta del Paciente - Facturas y Cobranza in Spanish (PDF, 59 KB)
- Patient Accounts - Financial Assistance, including Charity Care, Hospital Services in English (PDF, 150 KB)
- Cuentas del Paciente, Ayuda Financiera, incluyendo Servicios de Caridad, Servicios Hospitalarios in Spanish (PDF, 160 KB)
Have questions about your medical bill? Scripps is here to help.
You may qualify for a government-sponsored program, such as Medi-Cal, County Medical Services or Medicare. To obtain an application for Medi-Cal, please call 866-262-9881 or request one from the hospital registration staff. Effective Jan. 1, 2014, new income requirements mean that Medi-Cal can cover more people even if they didn’t qualify in the past.
You may also qualify for insurance through the Covered California health insurance exchange. Depending on your income level, you may be able to purchase an insurance plan with the help of government subsidies that reduce the cost of your monthly premium. To learn more, visit CoveredCA.com or call 800-300-1506.
To see if you qualify for financial assistance or to obtain a free copy of the policy and application by mail, contact your financial counselors at 800-690-9070 or visit the main admitting department at any Scripps hospital.
Please note: Physicians bill separately for their services, and the Scripps Financial Assistance Program does not apply to professional services. Scripps financial assistance policy reflects our commitment to the community and our mission and values in a way that is also financially responsible and consistent for all parties.
Please print a copy of the financial assistance assessment form through the links below:
- Financial Assistance Form in English (PDF, 130 KB)
- Declaración de la evaluación financiera del [la] paciente (PDF, 130 KB)