Mary Kalafut, MD
- Vascular Neurology
Mary Kalafut, MD, is a Scripps Clinic neurologist with specialized training in stroke and vascular neurology. She is medical director of Scripps Green Hospital, medical director of the Comprehensive Stroke Center at Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla and stroke medical director for the Scripps Health system.
Dr. Kalafut provides her patients with a wide range of medical interventions for the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of strokes and believes that the cornerstone of excellent patient care is listening to patients and working with other physicians to coordinate treatment.
In addition to her clinical practice, Dr. Kalafut has published research regarding advancements in the treatment of stroke and was a Skaggs Scholar for her research on the role of vascular endothelial growth factor in the development of symptomatic carotid artery atherosclerosis. She is currently conducting research on the role of the autonomic system in stroke patients. In addition, she is an adjunct assistant professor in the Department of Neuropharmacology at The Scripps Research Institute.
Since joining Scripps Clinic in 1999, Dr. Kalafut has held a number of leadership positions. In addition to her roles at Scripps Green Hospital and with the stroke care programs at Scripps, Dr. Kalafut is director of the Scripps Clinic vascular laboratory.
Dr. Kalafut is a fellow of the American Heart Association and the American Stroke Association and is a member of the American Academy of Neurology.
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Neurology, 1999
- Wayne State University School of Medicine, MD, 1993
- University of California at Irvine Medical Center, Residency, Internal Medicine, 1994
- University of California, Los Angeles, Residency, Neurology, 1997
- University of California, Los Angeles, Fellowship, Stroke and Vascular Neurology, 1999
- University of California, Los Angeles, Fellowship, Neuro Ophthalmology and Orbital Disease, 1998
If you see an error or omission on a provider’s profile page, please contact us.