Scripps Cancer Center recognizes that each cancer patient's journey is unique. That’s why we offer a wide range of physical rehabilitation services for cancer patients to manage the side effects of cancer treatment. Oncology rehabilitation can include physical therapy, occupational therapy or speech therapy services to manage physical and cognitive difficulties.
Your Scripps team of qualified therapists and instructors develop personalized cancer rehabilitation treatment plans to manage your progress and ensure you’re on the right track to feeling your best. The rehabilitation team includes the following cancer rehab specialists:
- Physical therapists focus on improving function, relieving symptoms, expediting recovery and preventing further disability.
- Occupational therapists help you develop daily living skills such as getting dressed and using the computer. You learn strategies to compensate for the permanent or temporary loss of function caused by illness, injury or surgery.
- Certified lymphedema therapists will develop a customized lymphedema treatment plan to relieve pain, reduce swelling and lower risks of infection. They can also teach you self-management techniques. Lymphedema is the collection of fluids in a part of the body that can cause swelling pressure and pain.
- Speech-language pathologists evaluate, diagnose and treat patients with speech disorders including aphasia (language), dysarthria (sound of speech), dysphagia (swallowing), apraxia (speech movements) and vocal changes. Speech therapists work closely with other specialists, such as neurologists, oncologists, pediatricians, and ear, nose and throat specialists, to thoroughly evaluate, diagnose and treat patients with speech disorders.
- Exercise and fitness instructors design fitness programs to address your needs. They provide group classes and can create a customized cancer rehabilitation exercise program.
Our oncology rehab program aims to improve your quality of life to relieve pain and uncomfortable side effects of cancer treatment. Your therapists will perform comprehensive assessments and develop an individualized treatment plan.
Some of the areas of support you may receive include:
Scripps has rehab facilities for cancer patients at several locations throughout San Diego County.
- Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla
- Scripps Mercy Hospital San Diego
- Scripps Encinitas Rehabilitation Services
- Scripps Green Sports and Physical Therapy
- Scripps/XiMED Medical Center
- Shiley Sports and Fitness Center
- Scripps Clinic Rancho Bernardo
- Scripps Clinic Torrey Pines
- Scripps Coastal Medical Center Vista
Scripps understands the importance of rehabilitation services for cancer patients. The way your body responds to cancer treatment is unique to you. Your therapists will create comprehensive assessments and individualized treatment plans to ensure you have the best guide to help prepare your body to heal before, after surgery and beyond.