Desmoid tumor treatment in San Diego
Desmoid tumor treatment in San Diego
Scripps MD Anderson Cancer Center physicians use the most advanced treatments, including surgery and biologic therapy, to eliminate cancer while maintaining quality of life. In addition, our multidisciplinary, collaborative board of cancer specialists reviews complex care plans to ensure patients receive the best possible care from diagnosis to recovery.
Diagnosis and detection of desmoid tumors
Desmoid tumors are a type of sarcoma cancer that is usually benign (non-cancerous). They originate in the abdomen in the soft tissue that surrounds the muscles. These rare tumors can grow into nearby tissues and often come back after surgery. They rarely spread to other parts of the body, according to national studies.
A biopsy is the most effective way to diagnose desmoid tumors. Detection of the tumors may include a physical examination, blood tests and imaging tests.
Treatment of desmoid tumors
Your Scripps MD Anderson cancer care team includes professionals from every area of oncology, including physicians, surgeons, radiation oncologists and nurses who specialize in cancer care. Learn more about how Scripps MD Anderson puts you at the center of care.
Desmoid tumors treatment options at Scripps MD Anderson
Some desmoid tumors can be watched without treatment for a time. Treatment will be provided if the tumor is growing or is causing pain or other symptoms. Desmoid tumors may be treated in various ways, including:
If treatment is needed and the entire tumor can be removed, the first treatment is often surgery, or the surgical removal of the tumor along with a margin of healthy tissue surrounding the cancer. If the entire tumor is removed and the margins are clear, no other treatment is needed.
Intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) may be part of a treatment plan for desmoid tumors, depending on the extent of the tumors and other factors. It may also be used as part of palliative care for cancer that has spread. Radiation therapy may be used instead of or in combination with surgery.
Chemotherapy and targeted therapies can be part of a treatment plan for recurrent (returning) desmoid tumors. A targeted therapy drug has been shown to be successful in some patients in halting the growth of desmoid tumors.
Tumor treatment locations
Scripps MD Anderson diagnoses and treats desmoid tumors at numerous locations throughout San Diego County. From Chula Vista and La Jolla to Encinitas and beyond, our extensive network of Southern California cancer care centers includes:
- Four Scripps hospitals on five campuses
- Outpatient clinics
- Specialty cancer treatment centers
For details on specific centers and their services, visit cancer care locations.
Support groups, services and resources
As leaders in cancer care, we know what it takes to fight a winning battle. That’s why we equip our patients with the support and resources necessary to achieve their best possible outcome. From connecting you with support groups and services to empowering you with the latest resources and research, Scripps MD Anderson offers a comprehensive lineup to help you along every step of your cancer journey.
Support groups for patients, family members and survivors
In support of our patients, survivors, their family members and the community, we host a handful of cancer support groups as well as a range of free workshops and health and wellness events on a number of topics, such as:
- Expressive writing
Check the current list of support offerings or contact your oncology social worker or cancer care coordinator.
For info about other cancer support groups in the San Diego community, call the American Cancer Society at 800-227-2345.
Support services for cancer patients
We are here for you — not only as your oncologists, but as a robust multidisciplinary team of experts who understands that your cancer journey is about much more than your medical treatment. Specifically, Scripps MD Anderson offers a variety of patient support services to ensure your physical, psychological and emotional well-being as well as resources for dealing with the logistical and financial aspects of cancer care. Our services and resources include:
- Oncology nurses and nurse navigators with extensive clinical expertise in cancer care to help guide you and your caregivers to make informed decisions and ensure your optimal care.
- Palliative care to provide an extra layer of supportive care to manage pain and relieve symptoms, offer emotional and spiritual support, and improve your quality of life.
- Oncology social workers specially trained to provide counseling, connect you with community and medical resources, assist with transportation and housing and coordinate care after discharge.
- Our registered dietitian nutritionists offer individualized nutrition support for patients whose efforts to optimize their nutrition may be affected by cancer symptoms or treatment side effects.
- Referrals and professional care from experts in psychology, psychiatry and emotional health, including individual and family counseling to help with the emotional challenges of cancer.
- Physical rehabilitation and occupational therapy services, including wound care, voice therapy and swallowing therapy, lymphedema therapy, balance and vestibular rehabilitation, yoga and more.
- Scripps Center for Integrative Medicine for patients interested in mind-body healing through acupuncture, biofeedback, herbal nutrition, massage therapy, integrative cancer care and more.
- Nondenominational spiritual care offered by our chaplains to help coordinate spiritual care with your own clergy, rabbi or spiritual advisor.
- Visiting patient services if you reside beyond San Diego and want help arranging appointments or learning more about short-term lodging.
For the full spectrum of offerings, please visit our cancer patient support services section.