Scripps MD Anderson Cancer Center is a leader in caring for people with cancer of the mouth, also known as oral cavity cancer and oropharyngeal cancer. Our oncology specialists treat mouth cancer with advanced therapies designed to eliminate cancer and prevent recurrence, including minimally invasive surgery that uses small incisions, potentially resulting in shorter hospital stays and a faster recovery.
Our multidisciplinary, collaborative board of cancer specialists reviews complex care plans to ensure patients receive the best possible care from diagnosis to recovery.
Mouth cancer is a head and neck cancer that starts in the mouth or throat. According to the American Cancer Society, it includes several different cancers depending on the area affected.
- Oral cavity and lip cancer is when cancer develops on the lips or in the mouth, including the middle and front sections of the tongue, gums, floor and roof of the mouth, and lining of the cheeks.
- Oropharyngeal cancer is when cancer starts in the middle section of the throat (pharynx) behind the mouth, including the back part of the tongue, soft palate, walls of the throat and tonsils.
- Salivary gland cancer is when cancer develops in the salivary glands.
As with most cancers, the earlier mouth cancer is found, the greater the likelihood of treatment being successful. Learn more about mouth cancer symptoms, diagnostic testing and stages below.
When you’ve been diagnosed with mouth cancer, you want a team of expert cancer specialists on your side. Scripps MD Anderson’s multidisciplinary oncology teams fight mouth cancer using the latest evidence-based treatments and therapies. Surgery is part of many mouth cancer treatment plans, and some may include radiation therapy, chemotherapy and targeted therapy.
Scripps diagnoses and treats mouth cancer at numerous locations throughout San Diego County. From Chula Vista and La Jolla to Encinitas and beyond, our extensive network of Southern California cancer care centers includes:
- Four Scripps hospitals on five campuses
- Outpatient clinics
- Specialty cancer treatment centers
For details on specific centers and their services, visit cancer care locations.
Scripps offers a comprehensive lineup of support groups, support services and resources to help you along every step of your cancer journey.