Advances in the treatment and early detection of breast cancer are part of the reasons why breast cancer deaths have been decreasing since 1989 in America. Scripps is a leader in breast cancer treatment, offering innovative options found at only a handful of cancer care centers across the country.
Scripps was first in San Diego to treat breast cancer with intraoperative electron beam radiation therapy (IOERT) at Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla. The radiation treatment is done at the same time as breast surgery through a single two-minute dose of radiation that can replace or reduce the need for radiation after surgery.
Not only are we leaders in leading-edge breast cancer care:
- Scripps cares for more breast cancer patients than any other San Diego health care provider.
- Scripps-affiliated physicians comprise half the region’s physician membership in the American Society of Breast Surgeons.
- Scripps was the first San Diego health care provider to offer centers exclusively dedicated to breast care.
Our multidisciplinary, collaborative approach to cancer care ensures you receive the best possible care from diagnosis to recovery.
The most effective treatment for breast cancer depends on several factors, including the type and stage of the cancer. Treatment may include the following:
- Surgery — an operation to remove the cancer
- Radiation therapy — using radiation to kill cancer cells
- Chemotherapy — using drugs to kill cancer cells
- Endocrine therapy — using hormone-blocking therapy to stop the cells from growing
- Targeted therapy — using drugs targeting a unique marker on the breast cancer cells
- Breast cancer clinical trials — using research studies to find new treatments
Scripps develops personalized breast cancer treatment plans from a full array of proven, evidence-based procedures and therapies.
Scripps’s multidisciplinary teams of experienced cancer specialists, nurses and other health professionals customize every patient’s breast cancer treatment plan to reflect not only her medical needs, but her personal and lifestyle needs as well. Additionally, our specially trained nurse navigators coordinate complex cases to provide support and guide patients through this challenging time with expertise and compassion.
Scripps offers patients access to the nation’s best cancer treatments, including evidence-based treatment protocols and landmark clinical trials. For more on our approach to treating breast cancer, visit our Why Scripps section.
Scripps cares for women at breast cancer treatment locations throughout San Diego County. In addition to five hospital campuses and numerous outpatient clinics, patients have access to dedicated breast cancer care centers in La Jolla, Torrey Pines and San Diego; state-of-the-art radiation therapy centers in La Jolla, Encinitas and Vista; and outpatient chemotherapy infusion centers across the region.
Learn more about our gamut of cancer care locations in Southern California and the services offered at each.
Scripps offers a comprehensive lineup of support groups, support services, and resources and services to help you along every step of your cancer journey.